Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Finding Peace Through Humility

This morning I awoke with an eagerness to post a new thought on my Blog site. As the moments passed and no words came to my mind, I realized an agitation and unrest creeping into my soul. I recognized this familiar feeling and immediately resigned myself to the fact that inspirations would not be forthcoming today. We can only make progress in our lives when we are at peace. However God in His infinite wisdom knows how to bring positive from negative. Thus the topic of today’s Blog entry, Finding Peace Through Humility, was born from my agitated soul.

The key to achieving peace is to rid oneself of pride. Pride is a vice that plagues all of us, and in fact is an obstacle that clouds our vision. This vision of which I speak is the ability to see our lives as God sees them. We will only be able to see ourselves through God’s eyes if we seek to live the virtue of Humility. Humility is the virtue by which we acknowledge our “littleness” before God. When we can look deep inside and see that we are “not so great”, we learn that our greatness can only be found in God. Accepting ourselves as we are with humility and joy gives us an inner peace. There is a beautiful, simple prayer that has always been of immense help to me.

 Let Go and Let God

As children bring their broken toys with tears for us to mend, I brought my broken dreams to God because He was my friend. But then, instead of leaving Him in peace to work alone, I hung around and tried to help, with ways that were my own. At last, I snatched them back and cried, “How can you be so slow?” My child, He said, “What could I do? You never did let go.”

No comments:

Post a Comment