Friday, October 2, 2009

Ordinary Work – Our Gift to God

Everyone is called to work. It is part of God's divine plan. However, with the fall of Adam and Eve, sin entered the world and work assumed a different nature. Human labor may be pleasurable, stimulating, and exciting, but it also may be disagreeable, difficult, and monotonous. None-the-less work, for most people, is a necessity of life. 

Most would agree that work provides some element of satisfaction. Work, however that is performed for self-gratification gives a temporary pleasure, whereas work done for God, affords us the supreme benefit because we are earning our Heavenly reward.

The greatest gift we can give to another person is the gift of ourselves. When we give gifts to our loved ones – be they of a monetary nature, or a good deed, our desire is to make those people happy; and we put forth great effort to make our gift the best it can be. Our Father in Heaven deserves our best gift as well – that gift is our ordinary, everyday work done with love. All honest work may be made holy – that is raised to a level of sanctity and offered as a gift to God. Offering our work in this way gives us greater impetus to carry out that day-to-day work with joy. God gives us all that we need to succeed in our chosen profession. Utilizing the talents He has given us to the best of our ability allows us to give back to Him. Our work, done well with love is a most pleasing gift to God for we are giving of ourselves.

The universal call to holiness through the sanctification of one’s ordinary work is the premise of Opus Dei. It is right and fitting to share these words about human work today, on the occasion of its 81st anniversary of its inception by the Founder, St. Josemaria Escrivia on October 2, 1928. For further information about Opus Dei, go to http://www.opusdei.org.

 

 

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for your blog! I read your post and I would like to ask your permission if I can post it in my blog, http://experienceswithopusdei.blogspot.com/

    I will link back to your blog and acknowledge you as its author.

    Hope it’s ok!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Raul,

    Thank you for reading my blog and your comment. I'm pleased that you find it helpful. You may certainly post it to your blog.

    Peace,

    Marylee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Raul,

    Please be sure that you reference my blog in your blog as I intend to use my writings for future publication.

    Thanks again.

    Marylee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marylee,

    Thanks a lot! :) Sorry I did not receive your comments. I thought this would send me an automatic copy. I already posted your post at my blog and referenced your blog and indicating that you are the author.

    Good luck to your future publication!

    Raul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marylee, Phillip just made a comment on your post which I believe is very important: "Since the fall of Adam and Eve, work became part of man’s lot in life." Work has always been in the plan of God. He told Adam to till the land. What came after the fall is the pain, difficulties, tiredness that comes with working. Work is not a result of original sin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Raul,

    Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I actually realized last night that I didn't make that clear. I will revise it to make it reflect that point.

    I appreciate your note.

    Marylee

    ReplyDelete