Thursday, December 24, 2015

First on my Christmas List – A Gift from my Heart




It's that time of year again; and to quote the late, great Andy Williams, it's the "hap, hap, happiest season of all.” Andy is right, preparing for the beautiful season of Christmas makes us very joyful indeed. Jesus' coming into our hearts bearing the gift of love brings us a beautiful sense of peace - something our very troubled world needs desperately. As we write our Christmas cards, shop for and wrap gifts, trim the tree, and bake Christmas treats, we need to think of others who experience sadness during the Christmas season, for a variety of reasons, but mainly due to the loss of a beloved family member or friend. As I started my own Christmas shopping, tears began to fill my eyes, as I realized that my own dear father would not be on my gift list this year. This is particularly difficult as my dad was born on Christmas Day. I felt my heart breaking as I recalled the bittersweet emotion of his passing to Our Lord in Heaven in August of this year. When we lose a loved one, we are happy that they are free from their suffering, and resting in peace in the arms of our loving father God, but that peace is also accompanied by the pain of separation. Even Christ cried at the death of His dear friend Lazarus. Moments after experiencing this well of sadness, a bright light came to my suffering soul, and it occurred to me that I do not have to omit my dad’s name from my Christmas shopping list. In fact, his name is FIRST on my list. What can I give him? The best gift I can give him comes from my heart – a good deed, an extra act of kindness. I can honor his wishes by being a good daughter to my mom, and a loving sister, niece, aunt, and friend. I can perform a deed that would touch his heart. My dad will not be needing monetary things like new shirts or slippers this year, as he is celebrating with Jesus, but I am sure he will be happy with my gift, as it is a gift from my heart.  

No comments:

Post a Comment